Carbon Dioxide (CO2) fire extinguishers are most commonly used for Class E fires involving electrical equipment.
As Carbon Dioxide (CO2) is a non-conductive & non-corrosive gas, it is the perfect solution for protecting computer & electrical equipment in the event of a fire.
CO2 fire extinguishers remove the heat element of the fire, as well as reducing the oxygen to the fire.
Carbon dioxide fire extinguishers can also be used on Class B fires.
Common Uses For Carbon Dioxide Fire Extinguishers
Carbon Dioxide fire extinguishers are most commonly used for extinguishing class E fires.
As the extinguishing agent does not cause any damage to computer or electrical equipment it is the perfect extinguisher for areas such as:
- Electrical Switchrooms
- Server/Data rooms
- Electrical machinery
Advantages of Carbon Dioxide Fire Extinguishers
- Extremely efficient in confined areas.
- Non-toxic extinguishing agent, will not harm food, machinery or computer equipment
- Carbon Dioxide does not leave any residue – No Residue means no clean-up.
- Non-conductive, safe to use on live electrical equipment.
Disadvantages of Carbon Dioxide Fire Extinguishers
- Poor “knock down” and short discharge. Not very effective in windy circumstances.
- This type of extinguisher works by removing the oxygen from the environment, care must be taken in confined spaces to ensure asphyxiation does not occur.
- Carbon Dioxide is an extremely cold substance, also known as dry-ice. Frost burn can occur if you do not avoid direct contact with the CO2.
- When discharged, carbon dioxide extinguishers produce a loud noise that may startle those not expecting.
- Not as simple to re-fill as other types of extinguishers. Often easier and cheaper to purchase a new one than to re-fill.
Who Needs A Carbon Dioxide Fire Extinguisher?
If you are a business owner, it is your legal responsibility to be prepared for all kinds of emergencies. It is also your responsibility to ensure the correct fire equipment is installed and properly maintained.
Regular training should be provided to ensure you know how to react in the event of an emergency. This simple piece of equipment could be the prevention of extreme devastation.
What Colour Band Is A Carbon Dioxide Fire Extinguisher?
Carbon dioxide fire extinguishers are marked by a black colour band towards the top of the fire extinguisher.
Carbon Dioxide Fire Extinguishers – Maintenance
All fire extinguishers have a life-span of 5 years. After 5 years they must be replaced or pressure tested & re-charged.
All CO2 fire extinguishers must carry a maintenance tag that shows their last inspection date, and must be serviced every 6 months.
Once your extinguisher has been discharged, it must be pressure tested & recharged, or replaced.
How To Use A Fire Extinguisher?
Believe it or not, a lot of people do not know how to use a fire extinguisher.
Considering the amount of fires that can be prevent in the first few minutes, it should be essential that everyone knows the basic operation.
The technique is called PASS, which is the acronym used to describe the four essential steps of operating a fire extinguisher.
- Pull the pin.
- Aim the nozzle.
- Squeeze the handle.
- Sweep from side to side.
See our detailed guide on How to use a Fire Extinguisher.
Other Important Things You Should Know:
- Make sure that the fire has been extinguished completely as there is a high probability of re-ignition when using a carbon dioxide fire extinguisher.
- Carbon Dioxide fire extinguishers should not be installed in locations directly exposed to the sunlight or radiated heat. As they contain a pressure relief device they could be accidently discharged at temperatures exceeding 50 Degrees Celsius.
- A Dry Chemical fire extinguisher may be more suitable for certain areas.
Our range of Carbon Dioxide fire extinguishers available include: 2kg, 3.5kg, 5kg
For our detailed articles on other types of fire extinguishers click one of the below links:
- Dry Chemical Fire Extinguishers
- Water Fire Extinguishers
- Wet Chemical Fire Extinguishers
- Foam Fire Extinguishers
- Fire Blankets
We offer top of the line Carbon Dioxide fire extinguishers at extremely cheap prices. You can check out our complete range or buy our extinguishers by clicking the image below.