How To Use A Fire Hose Reel?
In the event of fire, there is no time to stop and think.
Knowing how to use your fire hose reel could be the difference between minor damages or extreme tragedy.
All occupants should know the locations of fire hose reels, and method of use:
- Check your surroundings – warn other occupants of the situation
- If there is an allocated fire warden, notify them of the situation
- Make sure the fire is not an electrical fire
- Make sure the water is turned on before approaching the fire
- Pull the hose, the reel should unwind as you walk towards the fire
- Rotate the nozzle and aim the water towards the base of the fire
- If at any stage an element of risk becomes present, evacuate immediately
Where To Position A Fire Hose Reel?
Australian standard AS 2441 dictates the rules and regulations in regards to fire hose reel locations.
The following rules must apply:
- Located along the normal paths of exit
- Positioned within 1.5m to 2.4m height above the floor level
- Not located in a position which could create danger to the user
- Not positioned in fire-isolated exists
- Clear of obstructions and at least 100mm clearance around the handwheel